Document Type : Original Paper
1 Department of Chemistry, Payame Noor University (PNU),19395-4697, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
2 Department of Chemistry, Faculty of science, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, 7616913439, Kerman, Islamic Republic of Iran
The primary interest of researchers from biology, physics, medicine, chemistry, industry, and material science towards nanotechnology is the most upgrading of production methods, especially those that are cleaner and simpler. This work investigates a new Balangu-based nanocomposite made from Balangu, polyurethane, iron oxide (Fe3O4) and silver sulfide (Ag2S) nanoparticles. The bio-nanocomposite was prepared by the synthesis of Fe3O4 and Ag2S nanoparticles on the Balangu matrix. Balangu is a natural and abundant, renewable polysaccharide, safe to use, non-toxic, hydrophilic, and biodegradable polymer. A mixture of Balangu/Fe3O4/Ag2S nanocomposite hydrogel and ethylene glycol was stirred at ambient temperature. After 2h, diphenyl methane diisocyanate was added and refluxed. The resulted product was filtered and washed thrice with deionized water. Subsequently, Balangu/Fe3O4/Ag2S/polyurethane nanocomposite was obtained by drying in the oven. This research was aimed at investigating the potential of this nanocomposite in drug delivery systems. Balangu/Fe3O4/Ag2S/polyurethane nanocomposite was synthesized using various Ag2S nanoparticle contents. The resulted bio-nanocomposite was evaluated by FT-IR, XRD, SEM, and TGA techniques. In vitro drug release experiments were performed to assess the efficacy of the developed nanocomposite in the controlled drug delivery systems. The Balangu/Fe3O4/Ag2S/polyurethane nanocomposite containing 0.01 M AgNO3 exhibited longer and better controlled drug release.
- Razavi SMA, Mohammadi MT. Influence of different substitution levels of Balangu Seed gum on textural characteristics of selected hydrocolloids. Elec. J. Environ. Agric. Food. Chem. 2011;10: 2676-2688.
- Dogruoz N, Zeybek Z, Karagoz A. Antibacterial activity of some plant extracts. IUFS J. Biol. 2008; 67: 17–21.
- Samee H, Li Z, Lin ZH, Khalid J, Guo Y. Anti-allergic effects of ethanol extracts from brown seaweeds. Univ. Sci B. 2009;10:147-153.
- Naebi M, Torbati M A, Azadmard-Damirchi S, Siabi S, Savage Changes in physicochemical properties of cold press extracted oil from Balangu (Lallemantia peltata) seeds during storage. J. Food Compos. Anal. 2022; 107: 104358.
- Amini AM, Razavi S. Dilute solution properties of Balangu (Lallemantia royleana) seed gum: effect of temperature, salt, and sugar. J. Biol. Macromo. 2012;51: 235–243.
- Namazi H, Rakhshaei R, Hamishehkar H, Samadi Kafil H. Antibiotic loaded carboxymethyl cellulose/MCM-41nanocomposite hydrogel films as potential wound dressing. J. Biol. Macromol. 2016;85: 326-334.
- Singh N, Agarwal S, Jain A, Khan S. 3-Dimensional cross linked hydrophilic polymeric network “hydrogels”: An agriculture boom. Agric. Water. Manag. 2021; 253:
- Bankhede HK, Ganguly A. Pharmaceutical polymer-based hydrogel formulations as prospective bioinks for 3D bio printing applications: A step towards clean bio printing. Annals. 3D. Print. Med. 2022; 6: 100056.
- Bai S, Niu X, Wang H, Wei L, Liu L, Liu X, Eelkema R, Guo X, Esch J, Wang Y Chemical reaction powered transient polymer hydrogels for controlled formation and free release of pharmaceutical crystals. Chem. Eng. J. 2021;414: 128877.
- Wei W, Zhao A, Ge K, Zhang C, LiY, Zhang J, Jia Monodisperse and mesoporous walnut kernel-like SiO2/γ-Fe2O3 nanocomposite Synthesis, magnetic properties, and application in drug delivery. J Alloys. Comd. 2017; 72825: 585-591.
- Richter A, Paschew G, Klatt S, Lienig J, Arndt KF, Adler HJP. Review on hydrogel- based pH sensors and microsensors. Sensors. 2008;8: 561–581.
- Van Vlierberghe S, Dubruel P, Schacht E. Biopolymer-based hydrogels as scaffolds for tissue engineering applications. Biomacromol 2011;12: 1387–1408.
- Mahmoud ME, Osman MM, Abdel-Aal H, Nabil GM. Microwave-assisted adsorption of Cr(VI), Cd(II) and Pb(II) in presence of magnetic graphene oxide-covalently functionalized-tryptophan nanocomposite. Alloys. Comd. 2020; 82315: 153855.
- Paulino AT, Belfiore LA, Kubota LT, Muniz EC and Tambourgi EB. Efficiency of hydrogels based on natural polysaccharides in the removal of Cd2+ ions from aqueous solutions. Chem. Eng. J. 2011;168: 68–76.
- Li W, Zeng G, Yan J, Liu X, Jiang X, Yang J, Liu J, Sun D. One-pot green synthesis of I@CNDs-Fe3O4 hybrid nanoparticles from kelp for multi-modal imaging in vivo. Mater. Sci. Eng. C. 2021;124: 112037.
- Li T, Yang T, Yu Z, Xu G, Han Q, Luo G, Du J, Guan Y, Guo C. Trivalent chromium removal from tannery wastewater with low cost bare magnetic Fe3O4 Chem. Eng. Process.: Process Intensif. 2021;169: 108611.
- Braim F S, Razak NNAN, Aziz AA, Ismael L Q, Sodipo B K. Ultrasound assisted chitosan coated iron oxide nanoparticles: Influence of ultrasonic irradiation on the crystallinity, stability, toxicity and magnetization of the functionalized nanoparticles. Ultrason. Sonochem. 2022;88: 106072.
- Mahmoudi M, Sant S, Wang B, Laurent S, Sen T. Superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (SPIONs): development, surface modification and applications in chemotherapy. Adv. Drug. Delivery. Rev. 2011;63: 24–46.
- Ma M, Hou P, Zhang P, Cao J, Liu H, Yue H, Tian G, Feng S. Magnetic Fe3O4 nanoparticles as easily separable catalysts for efficient catalytic transfer hydrogenation of biomass-derived furfural to furfuryl alcohol. Appl. Catal. A: Gen. 2020;602: 117709.
- Vidyanathan R, Kalishwaralal K, Gopalram S, Gurunathan S. Nanosilver the burgeoning therapeutic molecule and its green synthesis. Biotechnol. Adv 2009;27: 924-937.
- Francis AP, Dushendra Babu GJ, Lavanya M, Shenbaga Vidhy K, Devasena T. Toxicity studies of Aluminium oxide nanoparticles in cell lines. Int. J. Nanotechnol. Appl. 2011;5: 99-107.
- Muhammed Rafeeq PE, Junise V, Saraswathi R, Krishnan PN, Dilip C. Development and characterization of chitosan nanoparticles loaded with isoniazid for the treatment of Tuberculosis. Res. J. Pharm. Biol. Chem. Sci. 2010;1: 383-390.
- Bozoğlan BK, Duman O, Tunç S. Preparation and characterization of thermosensitive chitosan/carboxy methylcellulose/scleroglucan nanocomposite hydrogels. Int J Biol Macromol 2020;162: 781-797.
- You Y, Qu K, Shi C, Sun Z, Huang Z, Li J, Dong M, Guo, Z. Binder-free CuS/ZnS/sodium alginate/rGO nanocomposite hydrogel electrodes for enhanced performance supercapacitors. J. Biol. Macromol. 2020;162: 310-319.
- Yegappan R, Selvaprithiviraj V, Amirthalingam S, Mohandas A, Hwang NS, kumar Injectable angiogenic and osteogenic carrageenan nanocomposite hydrogel for bone tissue engineering. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 2019; 122: 320-328.
- Rakhshaei R, Namazi H, Hamishehkar H, Rahimi M. Graphene quantum dot cross-linked carboxymethyl cellulose nanocomposite hydrogel for pH-sensitive oral anticancer drug delivery with potential bioimaging properties. Int J Biol Macromol 2020;150: 1121-1129.
- Mallakpour S, Abdolmaleki A, Tabesh, F. Ultrasonic-assisted manufacturing of new hydrogel nanocomposite biosorbent containing calcium carbonate nanoparticles and tragacanth gum for removal of heavy metal, Ultrason Sonochem 2018;41: 572-581.
- Bardajee, GR, Hooshyar Z. One-pot synthesis of biocompatible superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles/hydrogel based on salep: Characterization and drug delivery. Carbohydr Polym 2014;101: 741-751.
- Batool S, Hussain Z, Niazi MBK, Liaqat U, Afzal M. Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles and evaluation of physical and antimicrobial properties of Ag/PVA/starch nanocomposites hydrogel membranes for wound dressing application. J. Drug. Deliv. Sci. Technol. 2019; 52: 403-414.
- Palem RR, Kummara MR, Kang T J. Self-healable and dual-functional guar gum-grafted-polyacrylamidoglycolic acid-based hydrogels with nano-silver for wound dressings. Carbohydr. Polym. 2019; 223: 115074.
- Thakur VK, Thakur MK. Recent trends in hydrogels based on psyllium polysaccharide. J. Clean. Prod. 2014; 89: 1-15.
- Naushad M, Sharma G, Alothman ZA. Photo degradation of toxic dye using Gum Arabic-crosslinked-poly(acrylamide)/Ni(OH)2/FeOOH nanocomposites hydrogel. J. Clean. Prod. 2019; 241: 118263.
- Kamaci M. Polyurethane-Based Hydrogels for Controlled Drug Delivery Applications. Eur. Polym. J. 2020;123: 109444.
- Mandru M, Bercea M, Gradinaru LM, Ciobanu C, Drobota M, Vlad S, Albulescu R Polyurethane/poly (vinyl alcohol) hydrogels: Preparation, characterization and drug delivery. Polym. J. 2019;118: 137-145.
- Southall M. Retraction: A polyurethane–chitosan brush as an injectable hydrogel for controlled drug delivery and tissue engineering. Polym. Chem. 2021;12: 2346.
- Dalton E, Morris Z, Ayres N. Synthesis and characterization of sulfated-lactose polyurethane hydrogels. Polym. Chem. 2022;13: 2933-2940.
- Ahmad R, Mirza A. Synthesis of Guar gum/bentonite a novel bionanocomposite: Isotherms, kinetics and thermodynamic studies for the removal of Pb (II) and crystal violet dye. Mol. Liq. 2018;249: 805-814.
- Yan L, Li S, Yu H, Shan R, Du B, Liu T. Facile solvothermal synthesis of Fe3O4/ bentonite for efficient removal of heavy metals from aqueous solution. Powder. Powder. Technol. 2016;301: 632-640.
- Karimi MA, Hatefi Mehrjardi A. Nanotechnology Laboratory. (4ed.). Tehran: payamresan, 2011.
- Viezzer Ch, Mazzuca R, Machado DC, Forte MMC, Ribelles JLG. A new waterborne chitosan-based polyurethane hydrogel as a vehicle to transplant bone marrow mesenchymal cells improved wound healing of ulcers in a diabetic rat model. Polym. 2020; 231: 115734.
- Frydrych M, Roman S, Green N.H, Neil S.M, Chen B. Thermoresponsive, stretchable, biodegradable and biocompatible poly(glycerol sebacate)-based polyurethane hydrogels. Polym. Chem. 2015; 6:7974-7987.
- Mahanta A.K, Senapati S, Maiti P. Polyurethane-Chitosan brush as injectable hydrogel for controlled drug delivery and tissue engineering. Polym. Chem. 2017; 8:6233-6249.
- Kumari P, Chandran P, Khan SS. Synthesis and characterization of silver sulfide nanoparticles for photocatalytic and antimicrobial applications. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B, Biol. 2014;141:235-240.
- Sahraei R, Ghaemy M. Synthesis of modified Gum Tragacanth/Graphene Oxide composite hydrogel for heavy metal ions removal and preparation of Silver nanocomposite for Antibacterial Activity. Carbohydr. Polym. 2017; 157: 823-833.
- Parsamanesh M, Tehrani AD, Mansourpanah Y. Supramolecular hydrogel based on cyclodextrin modified GO as a potent natural organic matter absorbent. Eur. Polym. J. 2017;92:126-136.