Document Type : Original Paper
1 Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Advanced Science and Technology, Tehran Medical Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
2 Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Advanced Science and Technology, Tehran Medical Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
3 Physiology Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran 4 Department of Physiology, Faculty of medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
4 Department of Physiology, Faculty of medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
Heart failure (HF) is considered one of the most common heart disorders. Recent studies suggest that injections of amniotic membrane stem cells (AMSC) can improve heart function. Therefore, the current study investigated the effect of intra-myocardial injection of human amniotic membrane-derived stem cells (hAMCs) on inflammatory-related cytokines like IL-10 and IL-17 in the HF model of rats. Twenty-eight male Wistar rats were categorized into four groups: control, HF, culture medium injection group, and hAMCs injection group. After 60 days, blood samples were taken from the animals, and the expression levels of interleukins 10 and 17 were measured by the ELISA technique. The results showed that injection of hAMCs into male rats with HF caused down-regulation of IL-17 inflammatory cytokine and over-expression of IL-10 anti-inflammatory cytokine. Based on the results of this study and previous ones, we concluded that hAMCs could be considered one of the candidates in future studies on reducing inflammation in HF treatment by adjusting some inflammatory cytokines.
- Gevaert AB, Boen JRA, Segers VF, Van Craenenbroeck EM. Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction: A Review of Cardiac and Noncardiac Pathophysiology. Front Physiol. 2019;10.
- Hillegass E, Nagridge C, Bauer N, Champion T. Cardiopulmonary implications of specific diseases. Essentials of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy-E-Book. 2022:260.
- Tsuji K, Sakata Y, Nochioka K, Miura M, Yamauchi T, Onose T, et al. Characterization of heart failure patients with mid-range left ventricular ejection fraction—a report from the CHART-2 Study. Eur J Heart Fail. 2017;19(10):1258-69.
- Kawasumi H, Gono T, Kawaguchi Y, Kaneko H, Katsumata Y, Hanaoka M, et al. IL-6, IL-8, and IL-10 Are Associated with Hyperferritinemia in Rapidly Progressive Interstitial Lung Disease with Polymyositis/Dermatomyositis. BioMed Res Int. 2014;2014:815245.
- Slaats J, Ten Oever J, van de Veerdonk FL, Netea MG. IL-1β/IL-6/CRP and IL-18/ferritin: distinct inflammatory programs in infections. PLoS Pathogens. 2016;12(12):e1005973.
- Eid RE, Rao DA, Zhou J, Lo SfL, Ranjbaran H, Gallo A, et al. Interleukin-17 and interferon-γ are produced concomitantly by human coronary artery–infiltrating T cells and act synergistically on vascular smooth muscle cells. Circulation. 2009;119(10):1424-32.
- Zhou SF, Yuan J, Liao MY, Xia N, Tang TT, Li JJ, et al. IL-17A promotes ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction. J Mol Med. 2014;92(10):1105-16.
- Chang SL, Hsiao YW, Tsai YN, Lin SF, Liu SH, Lin YJ, et al. Interleukin-17 enhances cardiac ventricular remodeling via activating MAPK pathway in ischemic heart failure. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2018;122:69-79.
- Nunes RB, Tonetto M, Machado N, Chazan M, Heck TG, Veiga ABG, et al. Physical exercise improves plasmatic levels of IL-10, left ventricular end-diastolic pressure, and muscle lipid peroxidation in chronic heart failure rats. J Appl Physiol. 2008;104(6):1641-7.
- Kaur K, Dhingra S, Slezak J, Sharma AK, Bajaj A, Singal PK. Biology of TNFα and IL-10, and their imbalance in heart failure. Heart Fail Rev. 2009;14(2):113-23.
- Pandey AC, Lancaster JJ, Harris DT, Goldman S, Juneman E. Cellular Therapeutics for Heart Failure: Focus on Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Stem Cells Int. 2017;2017:9640108.
- Müller P, Lemcke H, David R. Stem Cell Therapy in Heart Diseases – Cell Types, Mechanisms and Improvement Strategies. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2018;48(6):2607-55.
- Li J, Zhou Z, Wen J, Jiang F, Xia Y. Human Amniotic Mesenchymal Stem Cells Promote Endogenous Bone Regeneration. Front Endocrinol. 2020;11.
- Jiao H, Shi K, Zhang W, Yang L, Yang L, Guan F, et al. Therapeutic potential of human amniotic membrane-derived mesenchymal stem cells in APP transgenic mice. Oncol Lett. 2016;12(3):1877-83.
- Naseroleslami M, Aboutaleb N. Human amniotic membrane mesenchymal stem cells exert cardioprotective effects against isoproterenol (ISO)-induced myocardial injury through suppression of inflammation and modulation of inflammatory MAPK/NF-κB pathway. Cell Tissue Bank. 2022;23(1):67-77.
- Alimohamadi Y, Sepandi M. Sample Size in Animal Studies (The number of laboratory animals in a Research study). Iran J Med Microbiol. 2022;16(2):173-6.
- Tsuji H, Miyoshi S, Ikegami Y, Hida N, Asada H, Togashi I, et al. Xenografted human amniotic membrane–derived mesenchymal stem cells are immunologically tolerated and transdifferentiated into cardiomyocytes. Circul Res. 2010;106(10):1613-23.
- Zhang D, Jiang M, Miao D. Transplanted human amniotic membrane-derived mesenchymal stem cells ameliorate carbon tetrachloride-induced liver cirrhosis in mouse. PloS One. 2011;6(2):e16789.
- Navas A, Magaña-Guerrero FS, Domínguez-López A, Chávez-García C, Partido G, Graue-Hernández EO, et al. Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Fibrotic Effects of Human Amniotic Membrane Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Their Potential in Corneal Repair. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2018;7(12):906-17.
- Fülber J, Maria DA, Silva LCLCd, Massoco CO, Agreste F, Baccarin RYA. Comparative study of equine mesenchymal stem cells from healthy and injured synovial tissues: an in vitro assessment. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2016;7(1):35.
- Carll AP, Willis MS, Lust RM, Costa DL, Farraj AK. Merits of Non-Invasive Rat Models of Left Ventricular Heart Failure. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2011;11(2):91-112.
- Li L, Zhang Y, Li Y, Yu B, Xu Y, Zhao S, et al. Mesenchymal stem cell transplantation attenuates cardiac fibrosis associated with isoproterenol-induced global heart failure. Transpl Int. 2008;21(12):1181-9.
- Kuwabara T, Ishikawa F, Kondo M, Kakiuchi T. The Role of IL-17 and Related Cytokines in Inflammatory Autoimmune Diseases. Mediat Inflam. 2017;2017:3908061.
- Jiao H, Guan F, Yang B, Li J, Song L, Hu X, et al. Human amniotic membrane derived-mesenchymal stem cells induce C6 glioma apoptosis in vivo through the Bcl-2/caspase pathways. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39(1):467-73.