Document Type: Original Paper
Department of Geology, Shiraz Branch, Islamic Azad University, Shiraz, Iran
Sedimentary Copper mineralization has been observed in Monj and Jolany locations in Bavanat (Sanandaj – Sirjan metamorphic belt). According to current study, the host rocks for copper mineralization in this area are green sandstones, generally in subarkose and arkose groups. Age of these sandstones is middle Jurassic. Copper mineralization is observed in two forms, sulfides form including chalcopyrite, chalcocite, covellite and also non-sulfide form including malachite, azurite and chrysocolla. Sedimentary Copper deposit of Bavanat is very similar to redbed type of sedimentary deposits such as Nacimiento deposit in USA for many reasons, including the host rock (green sandstone), concomitant rocks (habitual accompaniment with purple siltstone), age of forming, geological environment and the type of mineralization. These similarities can be useful in supplementary studies. Studied sedimentary copper deposits are different from the Jian copper mine in terms of attributes such as host rock, age of formation, upper and lower rocks and also the type of copper mineralization. Based on chemical analysis results, the average amount of copper concentration in the samples was 15509 ppm, which confirms the need for additional studies.
- Cabral A. R., "Red-bed copper deposits of the Quebec Appalachians", Final results of the research project ,Laval University, Quebec(2006).
- Kirkham R. V., Distribution, settings, and genesis of sediment-hosted stratiform copper deposits in Boyle sediment-hosted stratiform copper deposits, Geological Association of Canada, Special Paper, 36: 3-38( 1989).
- Brown A. C., "Redbeds: source of metals for sediment-hosted stratiform copper, sandstone copper, sandstone lead, and sandstone uranium–vanadium deposits", In: Lentz DR (ed) Geochemistry of sediments and sedimentary rocks: evolutionary considerations to mineral deposit-forming environments. Geol. Assoc. Can., Geotext 4:121–133( 2003).
- Hitzman M., Kirkham R., Broughton D., Thorson J., and Selley D., The sediment-hosted stratiform copper ore system: Economic Geology 100th Anniversary Volume: 609-642(2005).
- Cox D. P., Lindsey D. A., Singer,D. A. & Diggles M. F., "Sediment hosted copper deposits of the world", deposit models and database. US Geological Survey, Open-file report 03-107, P.50 (2007).
- Emmons S. F., Copper in the red beds of the Colorado Plateau region: U.S. Geol. Survey Bull. 260: 221-232(1905).
- Woodward L. A., Kaufman W. H., Schumacher O. L. & Talbott L. W., "Strata-bound copper deposits in Triassic sandstone of Sierra Nacimiento, Mew Mexico": Economic Geology,69: 108-120 (1974).
- Talbott L. W., Geology of the Nacimiento mine, New Mexico: New Mex. Geol. Soc. 25th Ann. Fld. Conf. Guidebook to Ghost Ranch Region(1974).
- Zhao X.F., Zhou M.F., Li J.W. & Qi L., "Late Paleoproterozoic sedimentary rock-hosted stratiform copper deposits in South China: their possible link to the supercontinent cycle",Miner Deposita ,48:129–136 (2013).
- Aghazadeh M., Badrzadeh Z., "The presence of sedimentary copper mineralization horizons in Iran" 29th Earth Science Conference ,GSI ,Tehran,Iran (2010)
- Karimi M. "Mineralogy,geochemistry and genesis of Chehrabad Cu-Pb deposit(Zanjan province) " Geochemistry, 4, No.1: 21-36 (2015).
- Noori Khankahdani K., Karimi M. "Mineralogical and geochemical studies of copper mineralization in the Surian metamorphic complex (Bavanat, Fars)", Islamic Azad University-Shiraz Branch, research assistant domain (2013).
- Vahid P., Economic and genetic estimate of Taher Abad copper deposit ,(The east of Bavanat), MS thesis, Islamic Azad University,Shiraz Branch (2016).
- Chaman Ara A.R., The stady of Mineralogy,geochemistery and genesis of copper mineralization in the Bavanat region (NE of Fars province) and its relationship with structural elements, PhD thesis, Islamic Azad University, North Tehran Branch (2016).
- Ghorbani M., "Economic geology of natural and mineral resurces of Iran”, Pars (Arian Zamin geology research) P.492 ( 2007).
- Noori Khankahdani K., Zarei A., Karimi M. and Mousavi makoui , A., Application of Aster Data Method for Slicing of the surian metemorphic complex rock units (Bavanat, Fars), national conference advances of geosciences, Islamic Azad University,Behbahan branch(2009).
- Aghanabati A., "Geology of Iran ",Geological Survey of Iran(2005).
- Mousivand F., Rastad E., Emami M.H. and Peter J.M. Formation of Various Types of Volcanogenic Massive Sulfide (VMS) Deposits and Its Relationship with Tectono-Magmatic Evolution in the Sanandaj-Sirjan Zone, in Persian, Olum-e-Zamin, 23(90)11-20 (2013).
- Rajabzadeh, M.A. and Esmaeili, S., The study on mineralization of the Jian copper deposit by using geochemical and fluid inclusion data, Fars province, in Persian, Olum-e-Zamin, 24(9):319-328 (2015).
- Moore F., Etemadi A., Asadi S., Fattahi N., Mineralization and leaching process in Jian copper deposit (North-East Fars province): Application of petrography and stable isotopes, in Persian, Journal of Economic Geology, Ferdowsi university of Mashhad, 7(1):147-163(2015).
- Asadi, S. Moore, F., Fluid inclusion in H2O-CO2-NaCl system and metallogenic analysis of the surian metamorphic complex, Bavanat Cu deposit, southwest Iran, Mineralogy and Petrology, 111(1):145-161(2017).
- Kretz R., Symbols of rock-forming minerals. American Mineralogist, 68: 277–279(1983).
- Folk R.L., Petrology of Sedimentary Rocks: Austin, TX, Hemphill Press, second edition, P.182 (1974).
- Guilbert J. M., Park. C., The Geology of Ore Deposits W. H. Freeman and Company(1997).
- Evans A.M., Ore Geology and Industrial Minerals , An Introduction , Blackwell, P.403(1993).
- Durieux C.G, Brown A.C., "Geological context, mineralization, and timing of the Juramento sediment-hosted stratiform copper–silver deposit", Salta district northwestern Argentina. Miner Deposita, 42:879–899(2007).
- Hahn, G.A., and Thorson, J.P. , "Geology of the Lisbon Valley Sandstone-hosted Disseminated copper Deposits", San Juan County, Utah [Reprint], P.42.( 2005).
- Pirajno F. Hydrothermal Processes and Mineral Systems,Springer Pub. P.1250(2009).
- Baloochi L., The study of copper mineralization in surian metasiltstone (NE Fars) MS thesis, Islamic Azad University of Shiraz (2013).
- Pettijohn F. J., Potter P. E. and Siever R., Sand and Sandstone. Springer-Verlag, New York, P. 618 (1973).
- Roser B. P. and Korsch R. J., Determination of tectonic setting of sandstone-mudstone suites using SiO2 content and K2O/Na2O ratio. J. Geol. 94: 635–650(1986).
- Rollinson H. R.,"Using geochemical data: evolution, presentation, interpretation " London, UK, P. 652(1993).
- Barnes H. L., "Geochemistry of hydrothermal ore deposits", third, New York, John Wiley and Sons, P.797(1997).
- Houshmandzadeh A. and Soheili, M. Geological map of Eqlid, scale 1: 250,000. Geological Survey of Iran. (1990).
- Noori Khankahdani,K., and Karimi, M., Geology, mineralogy and geochemistry of the Mazayjan massive sulfide deposit (Southern Sanandaj - Sirjan, Iran), Bulgarian Chemical Communications, 48, Special Issue D : 280 – 293(2016).
- Mousivand F. Mineralogy, geochemistry and genesis of copper mineralization in the Surian volcano-sedimentary complex in the Bavanat area, Fars Province – Unpubl. M.S. thesis, Tarbiat Modarres Univ., 300 p. (2003).