Document Type : Original Paper
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universitas Ahmad Dahlan, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Guava fruit (Psidium guajava L.) has many varieties, one of which is crystal guava. Crystal guava contains vitamin C which is easily oxidized by temperature. Therefore, this study aimed to determine the levels of vitamin C in crystal guava juice at different storage. Crystal guava samples were obtained from Bogor and then stored at different places and temperatures. Hence, guava fruits were placed in the freezer, refrigerator, and room temperature for 3 days, and all samples were juiced. Based on visual evaluation, guava fruit color is different. Moreover, the quantification method of vitamin C levels in guava juice by HPLC can be carried out with a flow rate of 1 mL/minute using the mobile phase ratio (methanol/water: 5/95, v/v), λmax: 265 nm and C18 as a stationary phase. Retention time of vitamin C in guava is around 2.765 minutes. The effect of storage of vitamin C content in guava juice from fresh samples, and guava stored in the freezer, in the refrigerator, and at room temperature are 3.28 mg/mL, 3.20 mg/mL, 1.65 mg/mL, and 0.82 mg/mL. Therefore, it can be concluded that the best storage of guava fruit is in the freezer because vitamin C levels in crystal guava do not have a significant difference after treatment.
- Abanto-Rodriguez C, Pinedo-Panduro M, Alves-Chagas E, Cardoso-Chagas P, Tadashi-Sakazaki P, de Menezes PHS, et al. Relation between the mineral nutrients and the vitamin C content in camu-camu plants (Myrciria dubia) cultivated on high soils and flood soils of Ucayali, Peru. Scientia Agropecuaria. 2016;7(3):297-304
- Lubis N, Prasetiawati R, Septiani W. Determination of vitamin C red guava (Psidium Guajava Linn) fruit juice with variation of beverage packaging, International Journal of Advances in Science Engineering and Technology. 2017;5(4):51-55
- You C, Fang B, Zhang W. Research on the stability of vitamin C in non-aqueous carrier. Journal of Biomedical Engineering. 2012;29(5):929- 932
- Lee SK. Preharvest and postharvest factors influencing vitamin C content of horticultural crops. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 2015;20:207-220
- Tareen H, Mengal F, Masood Z, Mengal R, Ahmed S, Bibi S, et al. Determination of vitamin C content in citrus fruits and non-citrus fruits by titrimetric method, with special reference to their nutritional importance in human diet. Biological Forum. 2015;7(2):367-369
Kaleem A, Nazir H, Pervaiz S, Iqtedar M, Abdullah R, Aftab M, et al. Investigation of the effect of temperature on vitamin C in fresh and packed fruit juices. FUUAST J Biol. 2016;6(1):117-120
- Chandra R, Sharma KD. Quantitative determination of paracetamol and caffeine from formulated tablet by reversed phase-HPLC separation technique. International Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2013:31-34
- Meyer FR. Practical High-Performance Liquid Chromatography, 4th Ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons. 2004.
- Guntarti A, Hutami EN. Validation and vitamin C testing in crystal guava (Psidium guajava L.) With variations of origin with the HPLC Method (High Performance Liquid Chromatography). International Journal of Chemistry. 2019;11(1):52-59
- Sugihartini N, Fudholi A, Pramono S. Validation method of quantitative analysis of epigallocathecin gallat by high performance. Pharmaciana. 2014;4(2):111-115
- Shafqatullah HA, Khaliqurrehman A, Asadullah J. A simple and rapid HPLC method for analysis of vitamin C in local packed juices of Pakistan. Journal of Scientific Research. 2012;12(8):1085-1091
- Teepoo S, Chumsaeng P, Jongjinakool S, Chantu K, Nolykad W. A new simple and rapid colorimetric screening test for semi-qualitative analysis of vitamin C in fruit juices based on prussian blue. Journal of Applied Sciences. 2012;12(6):568-574
- Kumar KR, Kumar PP, Mallikarjuna RN. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of ascorbic acid in health drink. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Reasearch. 2011;363-374
- Schulzová V. Determination of vitamins, caffeine, and preservatives (method: liquid chromatography with UV detection). Analysis of Food and Natural Products Laboratory Exercise. 2012.
- Njoku PC, Ayuk AA, Okoye CV. Temperature Effects on Vitamin C Content in Citrus Fruits, Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 2011;10(12):1168-1169
- Zhang J, Han H, Xia J, Gao M. Degradation kinetics of vitamin C in orange and orange juice during storage. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2016;12(10):555-561
- Rahmawati Rahman S, Wati A, Herman H, Arsyad F. Test of antioxidant activity leaves of Scaevola tacadda (Gaertn) Roxb. using DPPH (1-1-Difenil-2-Pikrilhidrazil). International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2014;5(3):159-162.