Document Type : Original Paper
1 Department of Physics, Bowen University, P.M.B 284 Iwo, Osun State, Nigeria
2 Department of Physics, Covenant University, P.M.B. 1023, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria
3 Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Federal Poly Ede, Osun State, Nigeria
Dar-Zarrouk criteria were used to explore a study region in southwestern Nigeria that was covered by a crystalline groundwater basement complex to illustrate the possibility for groundwater protection. This was accomplished by determining if the research area's protective potentials were predominantly low, weak, moderate, or good. The study's protective potential was calculated using physical subsoil layer data such as apparent resistivity and layer thickness values. For vertical electrical probes, the Schlumberger electrode array arrangement was employed, and twenty probe locations were defined depending on the spread allowed and subsurface depth. The Dar-Zarrouk parameters revealed that there was 70% evidence of poor/weak groundwater protection potential within the study area, implying that the availability of profitable groundwater quality within the study area is envisaging a tragic development due to contaminating activities that could percolate from the topsoil to the subsoil in the near future. As a result, frequent assessment of adequate water quality development and standards is recommended within the environment for the safe use of groundwater resources.
- Okogbue C, Omonona O. Groundwater potential of the Egbe-Mopa basement area, central Nigeria. Hydro. Sci. J. 2013;58(4):826-40.
- Pazand K, Pazand K. Geochemical Characterization of Surface Waters and Groundwater Resources in the Gharye-Alarab Basin, Southeastern Iran. J.Sci. I.R.Iran. 2021;32(3):235-42.
- Adeniji A, Adagunodo T, Ajani O, Samson T, Usikalu M, Onumejor C. Combined Geoelectrical and Statistical Approach in Subsurface Structural Mapping for Groundwater Prospect at Oke-Odo, Iwo, Southwestern Nigeria. Technology Reports of Kansai University (T.R.K.U). 2020. pp.3411-3425.
- Sunmonu L, Adagunodo T, Adetunji A, Oladejo OP, Alagbe O. Geoelectric delineation of aquifer pattern in crystalline bedrock. Open Trans. Geo.sci. 2015;2(1).
- Adagunodo TA, Akinloye MK, Sunmonu LA, Aizebeokhai AP, Oyeyemi KD, Abodunrin FO. Groundwater exploration in Aaba residential area of Akure, Nigeria. Front. E. Sci. 2018;6:66.
- Qishlaqi A, Abdolahi M, Abbasnejad A. Hydrogeochemical Evolution of Groundwater Resource in an Arid Region of Southeast Iran (Ravar plain–Kerman province). J.Sci.I.R.Iran. 2018;29(3):253-69.
- Daud Z, Hijab Abubakar M, Abdul Kadir A, Abdul Latiff AA, Awang H, Abdul Halim A, et al. Batch study on cod and ammonia nitrogen removal using granular activated carbon and cockle shells. Inter.J.Engin. 2017;30(7):937-44.
- Rastikerdar A. Estimation and Modeling of Biogas Production in Municipal Landfill. J.Re. Ene.Environ. 2018;5(1):43-50.
- Rahimi Komijani H, Shahin M, Jabbarzadeh A. Optimal policy of condition-based maintenance considering probabilistic logistic times and the environmental contamination issues. Inter. J. .Engin. 2018;31(2):357-64.
- Ajani O, Adagunodo T, Adeniji A, Fashae B, Omeje M, Adewoyin O, editors. Investigation of groundwater contamination from leachate migration: a case study of Bowen University dumpsite, Nigeria. IOP Conference Series: Ear.Environ. Sci.; 2021: IOP Publishing.
- Telford WM, Telford W, Geldart L, Sheriff RE, Sheriff RE. Applied geophysics: Cambridge university press; 1990.
- Reynolds JM. An introduction to applied and environmental geophysics: John Wiley & Sons; 2011.
- Braga ACdO, Malagutti Filho W, Dourado JC. Resistity (DC) method applied to aquifer protection studies. Rev. Brasi. Geo. 2006;24(4):573-81.
- Okiongbo K, Akpofure E, Odubo E. Determination of aquifer protective capacity and corrosivity of near surface materials in Yenagoa city, Nigeria. R.J.A.S.E.T. 2011;3(8):785-91.
- Abiola O, Enikanselu P, Oladapo M. Groundwater potential and aquifer protective capacity of overburden units in Ado-Ekiti, southwestern Nigeria. Inter. J. Phy. Sci. 2009;4(3):120-32.
- Sharafi A, Raeisi E, Farhoodi G. CONTAMINATION OF THE KONAR SIAH KARST SPRING RY SALTDOME. Inter.l J.Engin. 1996;9(1):37.
- Nugraha GU, Nur AA, Pranantya PA, Lubis RF, Bakti H. Analysis of groundwater potential zones using Dar-Zarrouk parameters in Pangkalpinang city, Indonesia. Environ., Develop. Sustain. (IEDS). 2022:1-23.
- Yusuf S, Ishaku J, Wakili W. Estimation of Dar-Zarrouk parameters and delineation of groundwater potential zones in Karlahi, part of Adamawa Massif, Northeastern Nigeria. W.Geo. (WG). 2021;47(2):103-12.
- Iduma REO, Uko ED. Dar Zarrouk parameter as a tool for evaluation of well locations in Afikpo and Ohaozara, southeastern Nigeria. J. Wat. Res. Protec. (JWRP). 2016;8(04):505.
- Wright JB, Hastings D, Jones W, Williams H. Geology and mineral resources of West Africa: Springer; 1985.
- Zohdy A, Eaton C, Mabey D. Application of surface geophysics to ground water investigation, Tech. Wat Res Inv, USGS Book. 1974;2.
- Keller GV, Frischknecht FC. Electrical methods in geophysical prospecting. 1966.
- Koefoed O. Resistivity Sounding measurements, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company. Geosounding principles. 1979;1:19-27.
- Vander Velpen B. WinRESIST Version 1.0. Resistivity Sounding Interpretation Software M Sc Research Project, ITC, Delft Netherland. 2004.
- Grant FS, West GF. Interpretation theory in applied geophysics: McGraw-Hill Book; 1965.
- Henriet J. Direct applications of the Dar Zarrouk parameters in ground water surveys. Geo. Pros. 1976;24(2):344-53.
- Maillet R. The fundamental equations of electrical prospecting. Geo. 1947;12(4):529-56.
- Niwas S, Singhal D. Estimation of aquifer transmissivity from Dar-Zarrouk parameters in porous media. J.Hydro. (JH). 1981;50:393-9.
- Singh U, Das R, Hodlur G. Significance of Dar-Zarrouk parameters in the exploration of quality affected coastal aquifer systems. Environ. Geo. 2004;45(5):696-702.
- Alabi OO, Adeolu O, Akinpelu DF. Geophysical investigation for groundwater potential and aquifer protective capacity around Osun State University (UNIOSUN) College of Health Sciences.”. A. J.W.R. 2016;4(6):137-43.
- Mohammed MZ, Olorunfemi MO, Idonigie AI. Geoelectric sounding for evaluating soil corrosivity and the vulnerability of porous media aquifers in parts of the Chad basin fadama floodplain, northeastern Nigeria. J.Sus.Dev. (JSD). 2012;5(7):111.